While it is so fun to show our love with gifts during the holiday season, it can also be stressful times for those of us who want to do our part in limiting our environmental footprint. Gift wrapping adds even more stress when you think about the impacts of wrapping paper production and the waste that results from it. So, here's some good news: there are so many ways to create eco-friendly gift wrapping that will help you save money (and trees!) this holiday season.
Create eco-friendly gift wrapping with these ideas.
You can give gifts that are as eco-friendly as possible by wrapping them in unique and reusable materials. There are tons of options available, from cardboard boxes to fabric scraps, so take a look at these ideas before you shop for wrapping paper this year.
- If you have some extra cardboard boxes lying around (like those from large deliveries), why not turn them into fun gift boxes? You can decorate the box with stickers or markers and even add a bow on top if you want!
- Another great option is fabric scraps, which are easy to find and inexpensive. Try sewing little pieces together to create a super unique patchwork effect. It also starts a conversation about sustainability during the holidays!
- Use drawings, paintings, or art you've made to wrap smaller gifts. How creative!
- Even old newspaper strips can be used to wrap gifts without adding any waste to the environment. Particularly relevant headlines or funny clippings can make presents extra memorable, too.
- Old maps make great decorative pieces to use as wrapping paper, especially if they're maps of places that you've visited together with the person receiving their gift. You might have old tourist maps lying in your junk drawer from your last vacation. Don’t just throw them away, wrap a present with them!
- Reusable bags are a great way to wrap gifts, and they can be used again and again! You can use them for shopping, travel, or even as reusable grocery bags.
- Old wrapping paper, gift bags, and boxes can be saved for reuse in future years.
Use a beautiful scarf as wrapping, which adds value to the gift!
A scarf is a beautiful, reusable way to wrap gifts. You can find scarves made from recycled materials or old clothing at thrift stores and consignment shops. You can even find beautiful, high-quality, and nature-inspired scarves right here at Posh Tide!
Our scarves make excellent, thoughtful presents while also making the perfect wrapping for small gifts. For the nature lover in your life, check out our colorful silk scarves inspired by the wild creatures we share our planet with. They’re made to order, plus, two trees are planted for every purchase of a scarf. Now that’s one way to give a truly sustainable gift!
Get creative. There are so many options for gift wrap!
There are so many options for eco-friendly gift wrapping! Just think of what you have around your home that could be used as wrapping. These are just a few ideas for eco-friendly wrapping, but we're sure you can think of many more! The options are endless! Feel free to share any ideas we might have missed with us. We’d love to hear it!